It's that time of the year, where the weather gets warmer, the days longer. This calls for beach days with more time under the sun and by the refreshing water. This also means it's the time of the year where the bugs come out to feast on us! If you're like me, then every summer is a battle. I used to use mosquito spray with the highest deet content possible but never felt comfortable. I mean, how safe can something be if I can only spray it on my clothes and not my skin? It also smelled horrible and I always got a headache. Three summers ago I was determined to make my own natural mosquito repellant. I remember when I made my first batch and brought it with me to my family BBQ I was teased, until they saw the bugs hover over me and then leave without bitting - then everyone wanted some!
Have fun making your own!
My favorite DIY and three summers of being mosquito bite free recipe (which also smells delicious):
- 11 ounces of Coconut Oil (you can also use mineral oil but I'm a sucka for some coconut oil)
- 1/2 ounce Neem Oil (this thing is magic - I'll be writing a separate post on this nectar from the goddesses)
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- 10 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 15 drops Lemongrass essential oil
- 15 drops Citronella essential oil